Build Progress By Category - Electrics

April 2014

8th

Final switches mounted And these are the modified switches mounted in my test 3D print mounts. I will be doing some more testing in the Fisher Fury R1 over the next few months, to see how well this layout works. So far it is working really well.

I've also finalised the electrics behind these switches now and all of the other lighting for this car. I have also completed the build of the indicator logic and timer, along with the relay board to switch the lights.

March 2014

29th

Testing indicator switch Finally got around to making a test bracket, to try out my indicator switch on the Fury. This is purely to test out the positioning and usability of this arrangement and the final solution will have this switch mounted inside a housing created using 3D printing. The same 3D printed part can be used on both sides :-)

Testing indicator switch This is what it looks like behind the wheel. It is basically invisible. The advantage of this approach is that it is very light weight and simply bolts onto the AB Performance paddle shift.

And so I went out for a test drive to see how well it works. Firstly it has a superb feel and weighting and is very easy to operate. A huge improvement on the dash mounted switch I currently use. Secondly, the stalk is too long. It basically gets in the way slightly when my hands are resting on the wheel. In fact the ideal length of the stalk in my view is exactly that on the original, unmodified switch!

This is good. I've got a very light and easy solution to providing indicator light control now and I can see how a similar switch on the right-hand side would be useful for the low and high beam headlight control. This means I don't need to fit many switches to the dash in the new car, resulting in a much cleaner and simpler dash layout.

Testing indicator switch This is the view from above. The paddle shift is an ideal distance from the back of the steering wheel and there is plenty of room for the switches, without fouling anything else.

July 2013

3rd

I have been working on an interesting project to build a 1080p 30fps dashcam recording device this month.

June 2012

24th June

Indicator stalk This is the indicator stalk I've fabricated for my new car. I've used carbon fibre tube (from a kite) and Araldite to lengthen a SPDT mini toggle switch. I can use a SPDT switch (on, centre off, on) because of the clever electronics used for my indicators and hazards. It weighs just 8g and will mount on the paddle shift.

I can't test this out on my Fisher Fury R1 because it uses a high current design to control and power the indicators but, I've built something similar using a high current switch, to test out the ergonomics.

Top • Last page update: 16 Apr 2014