Build Progress By Category - Lighting

April 2014

15th

Outer ring lights This is the outer ring of 24 LEDs lit up. They have come out exactly as I'd hoped. Nice and bright. From any kind of distance, they blend nicely into a seamless ring of light. The bleed through of light from the rear into the centre cluster will not be an issue as each part will be housed in a 3D printed enclosure and all the electrics and soldering will then be encapsulated in black potting compound.

14th

MakerBot Replicator 2 This is the MakerBot Replicator 2 3D printer that I'm currently using.

Lighting jig Took about 3 hours to 3D print this tool to help me align the LEDs and effectively act as a jig, whilst I solder them up correctly.

Something like this could be made in other ways (e.g. laser cutting) but, I don't have access to such tools for now.

12th

Rear indicator Wired up some of the orange LEDs I'm planning to use for the rear lighting, to check they are bright enough and visible from wide enough angles. This photo was shot using a zoom lens from about 30 feet and doesn't really do them justice. They are nice and bright though and have a wide viewing angle (>160º).

I really like this design and I'm planning to use this round cluster design for the indicators on the front, rear and side of the car. Will also be used for the rear brake lights, rear fog light and possibily the high level brake light. I'm currently designing some parts for 3D printing to house these lights.

I've also now completed the red outer ring (24 LEDs) and these look fantastic! Planning to have four outer rings as rear side lights.

Snape This is the rear lighting design and layout that I'm trying to re-use and improve upon. This is my Fisher Fury R1 parked up at Snape Maltings this weekend.

8th

Final switches mounted And these are the modified switches mounted in my test 3D print mounts. I will be doing some more testing in the Fisher Fury R1 over the next few months, to see how well this layout works. So far it is working really well.

I've also finalised the electrics behind these switches now and all of the other lighting for this car. I have also completed the build of the indicator logic and timer, along with the relay board to switch the lights.

6th

Modified light switch This is the final, improved switch [5.5g]. The extension has added just 0.3g.

Some people might ask why I've gone to so much effort with a couple of switches. My answer is that my main objective with this car is to provide the best possible driver involvement. Every interface to the driver (i.e. me) is designed to be intuitive, perfectly located and to provide the best tactile experience, feel and feedback. It is also optimised for me in terms of the size of my hands, the length of my fingers, etc.

5th

Lego support structure A quick drive in the Fury showed that the new switches are about 10-15mm too short on their own and need some form of extension on the toggle. I've fabricated some from plastic and fixed them using Araldite. The kid's box of old Lego comes in handy for jobs like this!

The Lego is simply being used to keep everything in alignment whilst the glue dries.

Rear light cluster mount I'm getting better with Google Sketchup and this rear light cluster mounting frame took less than 20 minutes to create. The final piece is slightly different, to make it easier to 3D print.

September 2013

23rd

Have bought some of these LED daytime running lights. Incredibly bright, very light and very cheap.

These will work nicely as day time running lights but I was thinking I could use one as a reversing light.

Top • Last page update: 16 Apr 2014