This section is covers how I am using 3D printing technology in the build of this car. This technology enables the fabrication of quality, custom components for the identified applications in this car. The whole design and print process is perfect for low volume car manufacture like this and I've already started using this technology.
I'm currently using Google Sketchup to design the parts on this car.
3D printing looks to be applicable to quite a few small parts on my next car. These are the parts currently planned.
- Switch mounts - to mount switches on the paddle shift
- High-level brake light - bespoke design integrated into roll-bar cover
- Camera enclosures for front/rear dashcams - bespoke design
- Custom mounts for 'action cameras'
- Rear-view mirror mount
- LCD/OLED display surround
- Various interior parts
- Side air vents
- Bonnet catches
- Front grille mounts
- The designs are exported from Google Sketchup as .STL files.
I'm currently printing parts on a MakerBot Replicator 2.
I do plan to buy a 3D printer at some point, for this and other projects. My favoourite is currently the CEL Robox.