|Clamped the vent grilles in place and used dabs of superglue to fix them in place. I then added a some 'no more nails' around and through the edge of the mesh to really hold them in place.|
It feels like I've got as much work now to do on the car as I had when it was under construction. On the plus side, I get to drive it in between the jobs and there are no real time pressures. I really need to do some performance measurements on the car now and I plan to do a track or airfield day soon.
Popped into a place near work that does this kind of work to get an estimate. They also have a rolling road which is handy. Taking it back later in the week for them to have a look at the exhaust.
|This is the current view I get of the Digidash2.|
|And this is the view I'm really after.|
I've got a borrowed one on the car for now from Daz . I'd forgotten just how loud it was.
Drove over to Woodbridge Airfield this morning to have a look at the event there and to get a noise test done on my car, in preparation for doing their next event there. I did this with the exhaust I borrowed from Daz and which was also the one I'd used for the SVA test, as I'd not got round to fitting my R1 exhaust back on. It's way louder than the R1 one so if it passes, my other one should be fine.
Damn good drive around the airfield! Some of my favourite B-roads around these parts, but the variable camber throws the Fury all over the road, when travelling at speed. It's got a mind of its own on roads like this and although it stays connected you have to concentrate hard to keep it on line. The acceleration and ability to overtake never fails to put a grin on my face.
Followed a few interesting cars into the event and arrived in time for the briefing. The whole setup looks very professional and the circuit layout looked interesting. There is even an ARDS instructor on hand for a small fee. £20 for 20 minutes one-on-one tuition in my car looks like a bargain at the start of the day. There were a few other bike engined cars there, including a Fury R1 but, mainly they were mainstream trackday cars from Porsches to MX5's. Had my car noise tested at 6500rpm and it failed miserably at 106dB. At 6300rpm it was 102dB which was a little better. The other exhaust should be fine for the future event.
It hasn't rained here since my car passed the SVA test. With this weekend being a bank holiday weekend, we are forecast three days of heavy rain . I would loved to have gone up to the Kitcar show at Stoneleigh this year but, I've got a family funeral to go too.
Did a quick test of my in-car video. It works really well apart from some whine on the audio channel. Will have to investigate what's going on there.
Removed the dash and rear-view mirror to complete the stripe down the car. Fixed the last part of the centre stripe. Started to look at how to move the Digidash2. Moving it is going to leave a big hole in the dash but I need to see if this move will totally solve the visibility problem.
My 8' x 4' sheet of 4mm thick Lexan was delivered today. More than enough for an aeroscreen. Anyone want to buy a piece?
It's been raining non-stop since 5th May . Tonight the clouds blew away for the first time and we were left with a decent sunny evening. Even the roads had dried up. Decided to take the car out with it's new, quieter exhaust for its first night run. That was the plan. Got to the third roundabout and there was no weight behind the paddle shift to get out of first gear . Something had snapped under the bonnet. Luckily it had broken in first gear or I would have been truly stuck.
|Drove home slowly and had a look under the bonnet. My 90° aluminium bracket joining the two rod-eye's had snapped where a bolt goes through it. Time to fabricate another one from some thick steel right-angle (plus a spare just in case).|
|Fabricated a bracket to provide a rigid and level mounting surface for the AP22 so I can start to do some performance measurements. It uses the existing bolt holes, holding the top panel plate on.|
Managed to get stuck in the traffic jam that is the Suffolk Show. This is the first time that the cooling system has really been under duress. It wasn't that warm (~22°C) but it wasn't long before the temperatures were rising and the fan was kicking it (an LED on the dash indicates operation). The maximum water temperature recorded was 118°C but I don't recall seeing that whilst sitting in traffic. It maxed at about 111°C before the fan cut in. The maximum oil temperature recorded was 104°C but again I don't recall seeing it cross 100°C whilst stuck in traffic. The temperatures obviously peak when on the move again. The water figures sound quite high but the water temperature sensor is on the engine head outlet pipe and not in-line with the radiator.
I've got a spare switch on the dash, which was planned to be used for the in-car comms system but I'm going to now use this to drive the relay for the fan to enable manual control and keep the engine running cooler when required. I'll take a 12V feed to the switch and drive the realy via a diode. I'll also need to put a diode in between the ECU control wire and the fan relay.